Tuesday 7 May 2013

That's not the language they taught me in the MTC ....

My email yesterday from Elder Robertson was GREAT!  It was full of humour, whit and information!  His companion Elder Hakken, is American.   One of the last few American Missionaries allowed into Switzerland with the current visa regulations.  They sound like they are working hard in a new area and are living in a flat with 2 other Elders.

His first area is Reinach, Switzerland as mentioned in this earlier post.  It has a branch of about 60 members.

He's 'enjoying' the language differences between German and Swiss German. I know he'll get the hang of it.

Jacob shares this "SWISS GERMAN IS IMPOSSIBLE. I finally realised why the Lord told me I'd be going to a foreign speaking mission. It's likely I'll stay here for a least a year in switzerland, maybe longer... my German is fantastic, except its not recognised as a valid language as far as this dialect is concerned."  haha

... this reminds me of the film 'The Best Two Years' ...


"Elder, that's not the language they taught me in the MTC." haha

I love this film ... will have to watch it again!!

I had a lovely message from Elder Hakken's mum yesterday too. She shared this experience our sons had together ....


"We had a cool experience. On Friday, we wanted to go door to door. I let Elder Robertson choose. We walked a little bit, then went back and he picked a place to start. We were going to open the gate and go up the walk-way when the door handle moved. We paused, then a man came out, locked his door and we got to talk to him. He said that he is leaving but if we want, we can come back tomorrow! His first door on his mission, it just opened itself and we made an appointment. So we met on Saturday and had a good appointment ...."  


I treasure every bit of information I can get my hands on!!  

Today I have written him a letter to send by 'snail post'.  Emails are great, but it's nice to have something to reread - should he choose to!!


















No comments:

Post a Comment